By the late 1920’s there was a dramatic increase in the number of patient admissions to the National Home. In July 1930, the Veterans Benefits Bureau and the National Home were consolidated into the Veterans Administration.
The architectural projects of the Veterans Administration involved primarily the construction of hospitals designed by the Technical Service Division of the VA, rather than by local architects. Built in 1932, the Hospital Annex, is one of the earliest buildings constructed by the newly formed Veterans Administration, and was used to accommodate long term, chronically ill patients.
The building was renovated in 1989, at which point the last residents of Old Main moved here and Old Main closed. The Hospital Annex served as a domiciliary until 2012. Today it is primarily used for outpatient treatment.