top of page
TheFountain-01_edited.jpg
THE FOUNTAIN

THE SOLDIERS HOME FOUNTAIN

The Soldiers Home Fountain, which sits directly in front of Old Main, was designed by Casper Hennecke and remains in its original location. Made entirely of cast iron, the fountain has welcomed visitors and residents to the Soldiers Home for 150 years. 
 
The central statue’s figurines and basin appears unchanged when compared to an old souvenir book from 1889. However, the stone wall surrounding the fountain was remodeled and a second outer ring was built in 1936.

In 2002, volunteers removed numerous layers of white paint and restored damaged parts of the fountain. Cannons used to be located near the fountain, in front of Old Main. There are now flower beds on either side of the fountain that sit on top of the old cannon mounts. These cannons were fired at sunrise and sunset each day, with a booming sound that echoed throughout the surrounding City of Milwaukee.

fountain_historic.jpg
bottom of page